How To Win Friends And Influence People – Book Review
This Book by Dale Carnegie is truly a wonderful book, a classic, a masterpiece. I started to read the book with no big expectations and kept reading just one this book until I finished it. I had almost stopped reading other than technical and direct office related books. But this book brought back the fun to read books again.
The book is written in a very simple language anyone can understand, plain common sense English. The principles given are very clear. The book itself is a motivator and made me to try few principles.
I was applying some principles in some cases and not other. Some used at work place but not outside and so I decided to apply them in everyday life. I wasn’t really shocked to see the outcome, but just made me realize how powerful these principles are and how easy life becomes if you truly believe and apply these principles.
Many of the principles Dale Talks about are second nature to many and many of the principles seems we know so well, but how many of these we actually practice in day-to-day life with every person we come across?
Please do not read this book like any self-help book. Follow Dale’s instructions and consciously apply these principles. Yes I know not an easy task to change the thinking styles, but like any other skills this too with regular practice could be mastered. Live a better life with people around you and go out make more friends. I would appreciate your comments.
Here are all the principles as given in the books, apply these principles at every opportunity.
Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
- Don’t Criticize, Condemn or Complain
- Give Honest and Sincere Appreciation
- Arouse in the Other Person an Eager Want
Six Ways To Make People Like You
- Become Genuinely Interested in Other People
- Remember that a Person’s Name is to That Person the Sweetest and Most Important Sound in Any Language
- Be a Good Listener. Encourage Others to Talk About Themselves
- Talk In Terms of the Other Person’s Interests
- Make the Other Person Feel Important – and Do it Sincerely
How To Win People To Your Way of Thinking
- The Only Way to Get the Best of an Argument is To Avoid It.
- Show Respect For the Other Person’s Opinions, Never Say ‘You Are Wrong’
- If You are Wrong, Admit it Quickly and Emphatically
- Begin In a Friendly Way
- Get the Other Person Say ‘Yes, Yes’ Immediately
- Let the Other Person Do the Great Deal of Talking
- Let The Other Person Feel That the Idea is His Own
- Try Honestly To See Things from Other Person’s Point of View
- Be Sympathetic with The Other Person’s Ideas and Desires
- Appeal To the Nobler Motives
- Dramatize Your Ideas
- Throw Down a Challenge
Be a Leader
- Begin With Praise and Honest Appreciation
- Call Attention To People’s Mistakes Indirectly
- Talk About Your Own Mistakes Before Criticizing The Other Person
- Ask Questions Instead of Giving Direct Orders
- Let The Other Person Save the Face
- Praise the Slightest Improvement and Praise Every Improvement
- Give The Other Person a Fine Reputation To Live Up to
- Use Encouragement. Make The Fault Seem Easy To Correct
- Make the Other Person Happy About Doing the Thing You Suggest